More Random Information

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Intense

 
I don't know if the face in this painting is due to the fact that people have really good facial recognition software in their brains, or if I'm picking up more then I think I am at the various life and portrait drawing sessions. Because I wasn't planning on creating a portrait of any kind.  There wasn't much of a plan involved in this painting, but since he appeared, and he looks pretty intense, that's what I called the painting.  

I'm assuming others see the face in this painting too, I've taken a very scientific poll, and 2 out of 2 people can see it!  I love the way he disappears the closer you get. 
  
I fought with this painting a lot.  I've made some paper and cloth mache creatures before, inspired by stumbling on a book by Dan Reeder.  I made simple monsters he calls Screamers; he takes it to a whole new level with dragons and all sorts of wonderful creatures.  Anyway, I wanted to create a bumpy 3D surface covered in cloth to paint on, instead of using a flat canvas.  
  
But once I created the surface, I didn't know what to do!!  I painted it black (which I seem to be doing a lot of lately), and just on it's own it looked gothic and creepy.   I quickly discovered that thick paint was the only way to go since the surface was so rough (yipee, I like lots of paint!), at which point I put on multiple layers until I sorta thought it was done.  Then I let it sit where I could see it.  Let it grow on me.  Soon the face appeared, and now I'm really liking it.  He's a little angry, but it's a nice strong image. 

Here are some pictures of little canvases I was playing with.  I'll probably paint over these, but you'll see what the cloth mache can look like.  
 
This is just cloth added to the canvas.  It looks kinda leathery (which makes it great for making those monsters), and the texture is great.  

Then I added some bumps underneath.  I probably overdid it on this one, it sticks out a bit too far, but it looked like some poor creature is trying to pull itself out of the primordial ooze, so I added a face. 
 
 Ok, and since that's too creepy to end a post on, here's a side view of Intense, so you can see how un-flat I made the canvas.  


Have a great week!


5 comments:

  1. I like it! Not sure I could have dude staring at me from my wall, but it's fascinating. Love the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, yeah not sure where someone would put him. He is rather intimidating.

    Well people switch pictures for the seasons, maybe someone could switch pictures by their mood... if we see him up on then we know to leave them alone; if it's a picture of frolicking kittens, then everything is ok!

    Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RATS,
    my comment vanished when I went back to look closer at the face. No fair.

    Something about, you said "people have really good facial recognition software in their brains..."

    ... and I was reminded of those few people who can't see faces, or even recognize their OWN face? Poor slobs, but I thought of this site and thought you might find it interesting?

    http://www.prosopagnosia.com/main/stones/

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay,I'm not actaully stalking you, I jsut get ideas in my head & finish them whenever I can. Here is a page from so long ago I didn't even know how to put my blog up on a real blog! Ha ha, early days

    http://www.imascatterbrain.com/content/fainting-goat.html

    the face-blind bit is lower down?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, don't worry about it. You're not a stalker; I love comments!

    The brain is a strange thing. Sometimes it amazes me that it ever works at all.

    You see how a tiny little glitch can have such a huge impact. Other times I'm amazed at how resilient it is and how it can recover and compensate for injuries.

    All this brain talk reminds me of the psychiatrist that knit a brain. It's awesome. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4245919/Psychiatrist-knits-anatomically-correct-woolly-brain.html

    ReplyDelete