More Random Information

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cud and a new batch of words

This was one of the random words for this month, and it was a bit of a challenge.  I had visions of cows chewing peacefully in a green field, maybe some strange anatomical drawings of a million stomachs, and I was a little frightened to find out what cud actually looked like.  But I bravely went forth onto the internet to do some research.

And as usual, the web provided too much information. CUD is an acronym, for a genetic disorder, a scholarship program, and the name of a a band.  I could go on, there was lots more, but then one caught my eye....  Did you know that a cud can be an error in coin making?  It occurs on the edge of the die causing a blank spot occurs on the edge of a coin.    Bingo!!!      I have coins.     I have paint.    And this is what happened: 


I think the colour scheme is an unconscious response to all those Halloween nights carrying around UNICEF boxes.  And I'm sure something profound can be said about the fact that a lone US nickel shows up almost dead center in a sea of Canadian coinage, but it's becoming gorgeous spring day, and I'm heading outside.




Oh, but just before I head out, time for another batch of words.

  1. baud
  2. parochialism
  3. streetwise
  4. trill
  5. religious

Think I could have some fun with baud.  I've been identifying as a recovering geek, but maybe this will help me merge my geek and artistic sides.  Well, I can only hope! 





4 comments:

  1. And I notice the US coin is on top of the Canadian - perhaps a comment on the US philosophy of manifest destiny? (mad art speak only possible before full awake status has been achieved).

    I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the money on the painting. It adds a lovely concrete sparkle, and the round coins are just beautiful in shape. After all artists designed every one of them with great care. The design of your piece is excellent too. Plus I just love gold,and silver. The colour of coins. Lovely.

    Take care,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW,
    I get such a kick out of hearing how you went from a random word to a painting, not to mention the painting itself.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you guys are great for the ego. You can post comments anytime!! I’m so glad you like it.

    I had lots of fun reaching into the change jar and dropping the coins all over the painting. It makes me wonder what other stuff I can incorporate to add texture and interest. I think this little experiment with the random words is working out.

    ReplyDelete