More Random Information

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fun with Gel and Texture

Hope you like the new format of the blog, might still play with it a bit; but I like that I can put the Shown Information in tabs up at the top.

A bit of an update on that front. The opening for the George Brown show will be on April 16th 5-9pm. I've been having fun doing some portrait-like paintings (the show is called "From Portraiture to Abstraction"), I'm curious to see what ends up in the show.


Black Texture 1
8 X 8
As you can see this week, I've been having fun with gel and texture. I've started a bigger paining using the black gel, but I wasn't satisfied with it, and wasn't sure what to do next, so I started to experiment on these smaller canvases. (I know, I know, you're supposed to start with the small stuff first, and then do the bigger work, but as always I'm doing things backwards)

Black Texture 2
8 X 8
Black Texture 2 - Close Up
8 X 8
Don't know if you noticed, but I'm not very good with "subtle". I tend to get bored. But I have learned to simplify things, and that was part of the aim here. Black gave me the drama, and keeping it simple then I explored various textures.... but of course I'm wondering if these would have the same impact in different colours.... or if I added colours (so much for limiting myself!)
Black Texture 3
8 X 8 

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, tactile!

    Love #2 in particular - looks like a cutaway of ripples in a pond.

    ReplyDelete